Broccoli and cheddar soup. What could be more comforting on a cold day? Maybe broccoli and cheddar soup with croutons. When we were in New York for Thanksgiving, my dear friend Karen made this soup for us (all 10 of us). It was so good that one week later, I've already made it for my gang. It's really easy in that you use frozen broccoli florets. No cutting, washing and draining of broccoli. I know that sounds incredibly lazy, but it really saves time and aggro when you want to make something good for lunch and you don't have a lot of time. I used chicken stock because it's what I had available, leeks because I had some in my fridge and dried thyme because I didn't have any fresh. It was still delicious.
Broccoli + Cheddar Soup
A flavourful, hearty soup that you can whip up for lunch at a moment's notice
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced or leeks (white part only)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 - 16 oz package frozen broccoli, florets separated as much as possible
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/4 cups grated cheddar
- Croutons for garnish, if desired
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions (or leeks), salt, pepper and nutmeg and cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring until the mixture is well blended and smells fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Slowly add the stock, whisking constantly, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until thickened, about 5-7 minutes. Add the broccoli and cook, stirring, until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and purée using an immersion blender. Alternatively, transfer soup to a blender or a food process and blend until smooth. Transfer soup back to saucepan.
- Add the cream and bring the soup back to a bare simmer to heat through. Add the cheese and cook on medium heat, stirring often, until the cheese melts.
- Remove from heat and serve. Top with croutons if desired.