Every week, I plan my menus for the following week. It's a process I really enjoy, but I've learned that I have to be hungry in order to do it well. If I'm full, I don't feel like thinking about food. I grab a whole bunch of cookbooks and magazines, along with the seemingly endless supply of recipes that I bookmark online and I try to plan healthy, quick, tasty and different meals while trying to please everybody. Not an easy feat. Although my kids are good eaters, there's inevitably one who won't like something or an ingredient in something I'm planning to make. This recipe is one that pleased the whole family. It comes from Donna Hay's "Simple Dinners" cookbook. If you cook your rice prior to making dinner, it takes you about 15 minutes in total to prepare to whole thing. I like to mix everything up together, sort of like Korean bibimbap.
Jasmine rice is a rice that originates in Thailand. It is a long-grained rice which has a slightly moist and sticky texture and a very fragrant aroma. It is not the same as basmati rice, which originates in India. If you can't find jasmine rice, feel free to use white or brown rice. Basmati would also be good but it would impart a completely different taste. Experiment to see what you like best.
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely grated ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 5 cups cooked jasmine rice (325g uncooked rice)
- 1/4 cup (60ml) light soy sauce
- 4 eggs, fried
- 6 spring onions (green onions/scallions), trimmed and sliced
- 2 long green or red chilies, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves
- Steamed bok choy and hot chili sauce, to serve
- Heat both the oils in a large non-stick frying pan or wok over high heat. Add the ginger and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring, for 4-5 minutes or until heated through. Stir through the soy sauce,
- Divide the rice between plates or shallow bowls and top with a fried egg, spring onions, chili and coriander.
- Serve with the bok choy and chili sauce.